United Way of Delaware incorporated in 1946 as United Fund of Wilmington. Twenty-two charter agencies received more than $700,000 in funding raised that year alone!
In 1947, United Fund adopted the Red Feather as the symbol to unite the Wilmington movement with the national movement, which joined together United Way volunteers and staff to advocate for change.
The next three decades brought a new name -- United Way of Delaware – and new symbols – the rainbow and helping hand. United Way of Delaware campaigns were progressively more successful, raising an unheard-of $30 million in 2002.
Today, United Way of Delaware employs nearly forty committed individuals, occupying four offices statewide. Campaign 2010, our 64th, is on track to raise $21 million for those Delawareans in need.
Click here to view a timeline of the United Way of Delaware history.